Monday 24 January 2011

Portfolio Surgery 1*

Si Scott

Had a surgery with Si Scott, a designer who's name I've heard a lot thrown about, in and out of the studio but who's work I've never really looked into.
Upon having the chance to see the man, I went onto his website and searched the net, looking at his work. Beautiful hand crafted pieces. Very nice indeed.


Unfortunately on the day of the surgery, when I was supposed to throw together my portfolio, which I had planned to take no more than a couple of hours, I found I had lost all my work and threw a massive bastard spanner into my life.
I did what I could out of a shit situation and gathered examples of my work and essentially the contents to what would make my portfolio.
I took along with me some pointers to bring up leading to questions and conversation starters.

. How to organise the portfolio
Projects / areas of design / Disciplines etc
. Best way to contact desired studios
email / letter
. Attach a PDF / jpeg / mail shot
(Getting designs out there)
. Any contacts within boarding culture / clients

The session went OK, didn't get much advice on the portfolio due to my problems with work but we spoke about issues to do with getting my work and name out there. What to send to agencies, getting the attention and sending something more than just an e-mail.
The most interesting point that came up was that Si had done work for boarding brands, Burton and had been approached by K2, Ride and Salomon. This was of great interest to me so I asked if he would be able to slip me some of the contacts he has from these people, which he agreed to if he could find them. So I intend to E-mail him to hopefully gain these contacts.


Some of his work for Burton,





No comments:

Post a Comment